History of the Hall
The Hall was originally St Paul’s Church built in 1882. St Paul’s held regular services until the late 1940’s when it was closed. In 1950 it became a Church Hall continuing this use until 1990.
The building was handed back to the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe in 1990 who then gave the Hall to the Community. The Parish Council became the Hall Trustees.
A Management Committee was set up, responsible for the financial commitment and the running of the Hall independent of the Parish Council. The Management Committee is made up of 4 members elected at the AGM and includes the Chairman. The Management Committee then elects 4 representative members from the organisations in the Community, which includes 1 member from the Parish Council and 4 co-opted members.
The Hall needed money spent on it and this was something the Committee did not have. It was decided not to wait for grants but to try and use the support and enthusiasm of the local community. We were overwhelmed by the response of our local tradesmen who stepped forward to do the work.
The building was formally re-opened by the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe in 1991. Refurbishment continued: the tin roof was replaced with Delabole Slate, a Store was built, the gardens were landscaped. Later, a new mobile stage for productions and concerts was created, the Kitchen was extended and completely refitted, and the driveway and parking area were tarmacked.